Grow Your Own Barramundi, Trout, Silver Perch, Marron and Yabbies!
With a Suburban Farmer fish farm you can easily grow edible fish species that can be harvested to supply your family with fresh fish, produced from your own backyard.
Not only are you growing fresh fish, the filter used to clean the water grows fresh vegetables!
Fresh fish and a vegetable garden that you don’t need to water!
How does it work?
The water in a fish tank is high in nutrients and requires filtering. Instead of using a traditional filter, we pump the water into a specially built vegetable garden that feeds and waters your plants. In turn, the vegetable plants obtain the nutrients they need from the water, and return the filtered clean water to the fish tank.
Growing in this nutrient rich water your vegetables experience accelerated growth rates, are stronger and healthier and use about 10% of the water it takes to grow vegetable plants in soil.
The concept is called Aquaponics.
Along with maintaining high levels of productivity, Suburban Farmer fish farm systems offer attractive designs, bringing a touch of class to backyard fish farming.
Owning your own Fish Farm means:
- Knowing that the fish you are eating has not been exposed to polluted waters. You can rest assured of the health benefits.
- Once your system is set up you can reap the benefits of cheap fish for years to come! Buying fresh fish isn’t as affordable as it once was, however with a fish farm, fresh fish can be a part of your weekly menu!
We install quality aquaponics systems of various sizes capable of growing species such as barramundi, marron, trout, yabbies, black bream and silver perch. We can also retro- fit your existing water feature or pond by adding a water-wise vegetable garden filter (growbed).
With a tested simple design, our systems are easy to maintain, inexpensive to run and can fit in the corner of the patio or backyard. You only need 3 square metres in order to grow 25 fish and 30 – 50 vegetable plants.
Features of Suburban Farmer aquaponics systems include:
- Attractive water features that are highly productive
- Easy care – all you need to do is feed your fish!
- Include all the tools and equipment needed to successfully rear fish to eating size, without any prior knowledge of fish farming
- Easy to upgrade
- Only require 3 x 3 metres of space
- Inexpensive to run
- Operation manual included
- Any size and shape available, design your own!
- Separate components available for DIY
- Grow a range of species from Barramundi, Trout, Silver Perch, Marron, Yabbies and more
- Grow 25 fish per vegetable garden filter, and you can increase the amount of fish in your tank by adding more vegetable filters (which means more vegetables too!)
- Easy to look after and cheap to feed
- Grow fish according to the seasons: Barramundi in summer, Trout in the winter
Vegetable Garden Filter
- Grow better vegetables faster! Our fish farms use 10% of the water it takes to grow vegetable plants in the ground
- Grow more vegetables! The plants only compete for light so you can plant more vegetables in a smaller area
- Grow any vegetable!
- Can also grow fruits and herbs
- Certified Organic Seedlings available
Below: Are you telling me something that looks this good supplies us with fresh fish and veggies??
Each wrought iron filter stand is hand made and the result is outstanding. You really need to see the stands in person to appreciate how good they look. They are a stunning piece of garden furniture! The stands are incredibly strong and available in aztec gold (as seen on the round stands) or silver (as seen on the square stands).
An established system bursting with growth
and of course the fish!